Bartolomeo Nogara was born in St Rocco of Bellano the 28th April 1868 and was dead in Rome the 19th June 1954. He was the son of Giovanni Nogara, landowner, and of Giulia Vitali Lorla, member of one of the most prominent families in Bellano. In 1981 graduated with honors in “greek and roman civilian antiquities”. He also studied for a second degree in law at the University of Genova. Meanwhile, under the leadership of the distinguished Professors Ascoli and Lattes he majored in glottology, starting to study the Etruscan language, a language then still unknow.
In 1902 Bartolomeo Nogara was called to Vatican in Rome to cover the double role as a latin writer of Vatican’s library and as an executive director of the Gregorian Etruscan museum. In 1903 he was nominated curator of Vaticans “Gregoriano Profano museum”. At last, in 1920, Pope Benedict XV, appointed Bartolomeo General Director of Vatican and Laterans pontificial museum and galleries. He became, in only 20 years, the highest responsible of one of the most extended and important museums of the world. In this context, Nogara relaunched the Vatican museums with newer and more modern institutional system, strengthening and expanding the staffs technical-scientific qualities, organizing workshop of restoration for paintings and sculptures according to the most modern technologies, coordinating numerous editorial and didactic initiatives (for ex. University for foreigners of Perugia), supporting excavations campaigns and cataloguing in coordination with the most important worlds museums. His numerous publications range from Etruscan, Greco-Roman to Renaissance Archaeology. During 2nd World War, from 1942 to 1945, used Vatican as a shelter hidening many masterpiece of art coming from Italians museums (the golds of Pompei, St Mark treasury, St Ambrogio altar of Milan, the archive, library and treasures of Montecassino, the Quirinal treasury and so on) in order to protect them against aerial bombing or against german troops ransack.
The Realm Lieutenant, once released Rome, granted to Bartolomeo the title of Baron, as a recognition for having protected the Italian cultural heritage.
Nogara also dedicated studies and articles to Lake Como territories and to the archaeological discoveries of this area. In particular, Nogara dedicated his studies and researches for the restoration of the provostship church of Bellano, starting from 1930.
Questo sito utilizza i cookie per fornire la migliore esperienza di navigazione possibile. Continuando a utilizzare questo sito senza modificare le impostazioni dei cookie o cliccando su "Accetta" permetti il loro utilizzo.