Worthy of mention are two churches in the territory of Bellano. The Church of Saint Rocco, shrine of all the fallen of all the wars, overlooking the “Orrido” at the junction leading to the “Sentiero del Viandante” and the former Church of “San Nicolao”, now deconsecrated and owned by the Municipal Administration which uses it for cultural events. It is important to mention the Church of Saint Andrews in Bonzeno.
Behind the apse of the Parish church, near the River Pioverna, which drops into the famous Orrido gorge just a short distance away, stands the Church of Saints Rocco and Sebastian at the Bridge which was built in 1489 as witnessed by the inscription on the portal architrave. The church was consecrated in 1502 and in 1587 became the seat of the Confraternity bearing the same name, responsible for the administration until it was disbanded in 1786.
Restored in 1969, it is now a War Memorial and holds two paintings by Giancarlo Vitali, an artist from Bellano.
More than the humble XVII-XVIII century architectural forms of the church, its forward portico and bell tower, worthy of mention are the imposing Crucifix with architrave and the wooden altar depicting Christ Resurrected and Saints Rocco and Sebastian, vigorous XVII century works (1611?) quite similar in style to the confessional, and the Altar of the Rosary in the Parish Church. The altar-cloth with Saint Rocco is a fair XVIII century work similar to the one in Pagnona. The altarpiece (depicting the Madonna and Child and Saints Sebastian and Rocco) and the fresco in the apse (depicting the Crucifixion with Saints Sebastian and Rocco) mentioned in the Pastoral Visit of 1611 have though since been lost.
Chiesa di San Nicolao – Former Church of Saint Nicolao
In the oldest part of Bellano stands the Church of Saint Nicholas. Now deconsecrated and owned by the Municipal Administration which uses it for cultural events, this church was once a lynchpin of religious life in the area. The noteworthy frescoes adorning the structure bear witness to its former prominence.
Chiesa di Sant’Andrea di Bonzeno – Church of Saint Andrews from Bolzeno
The church dating to the XIII century, is dedicated to “Sant’Andrea di Bonzeno” (Saint Andrews from Bonzeno). Inside it holds a real size crucifix in walnut wood, dating to the early 200s, recently restored and on public display. Suggestive are the Chapels on the “Via Crucis”(Station of the Cross) along the path that leads to the temple.